The World Health Organization estimates that 16% of young people are affected by mental diseases. Australian youth encounter mental health issues at a rate of one in seven. There is a need to develop fresh strategies for providing support and reducing stigma in light of the increase in mental health cases.
There is little study on how mental health is inclusive in school settings and how it affects people’s perspectives. However, to support intervention strategies, educational institutions and providers offer mental health courses in Australia.
IMPORTANCE OF EDUCATION IN MENTAL HEALTH
Increasing public understanding of mental health is education’s primary objective. An hesitancy to accept assistance may result from misconceptions. Reinforcing mental health sensitivity requires even understanding the right terminology. In order to create a setting where people may openly discuss mental health, education is essential. It is necessary for both personal and interpersonal growth.
WHY TAKE A MENTAL HEALTH STUDY
Given the pressing issues, the demand for professionals in mental health care is increasing. Many people take courses on mental health. Some choose to further their education. Here are some of the reasons why studying mental health is a great opportunity:
- Learn new skills and knowledge – People can learn detailed information on mental health through study, giving them the skills they need to deal with a variety of disorders.
- Introduction to new perspectives – In order to identify the primary sources of stigma and stereotypes and understand how they prevent effective therapy, it is crucial to expand one’s worldview.
- New Career Path – There are numerous places where employment in mental health is available. Studying further opens up job prospects in numerous public or commercial sectors.
- Research opportunities – Venturing out into the field of research develops more insights and breakthroughs in mental health.
- Individual Growth – In addition to academic learning, understanding how supporting others is a success is important for developing empathy.
- Change and save lives – Making the decision to enroll in a mental health study is the first step toward helping. This line of work goes beyond the classroom to alter the future. Frontline workers in mental health take risks to save lives.
MENTAL HEALTH COURSES IN AUSTRALIA
There are numerous educational service providers in Australia, each using a particular method of instruction. One must take into account academic excellence and professionalism in addition to the learning experience.
Online course instructors are skilled mental health specialists as well. The Graduate Diploma in Mental Health, Graduate Certificate in Mental Health, and Master of Arts in Mental Health are the three most important degrees. These offer courses that concentrate on concepts for evidence-based learning that are applicable to professional activities.
More significant than the abilities acquired is the exploration of self-reflection and self-evaluation throughout the educational process.